In 1913, only 400 people lived in the area that would become Martin County in 1925. The year 1914 saw the opening of the first library in the area.
The new library was organized by the Woman’s Club of Stuart, which was a fledgling group itself. These women decided to open a library, and until 1957, it was the only one available to residents.
The first library and Woman’s Club building, located on Albany Avenue, was unfortunately destroyed in 1933 due to a hurricane.
FLA 021.65 JUS – History of the Martin County Library System by Luann Justak and Nina Taylor